Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Stormy

We had thunderstorms this afternoon, the first since I've been back at work. One of the better parts about working in a high-rise is the view when storms roll through.

In Houston, my firm was on the 54th floor, which meant we were pretty damn high. On the few clear days, you could see huge chunks of the city (and the building next door). Most of the time, though, it was a reminder that Houston was an industrial city. Usually there was at least a bit of pollution or haze that impacted the view.

The new firm is on the 19th floor. Although it's nowhere nearly as high, I have to say that I enjoy the view a lot more. The air here is rarely polluted, and I love seeing actual hills (and not just overpasses) and trees. My window faces west, so I look straight down Capitol, at the state capitol building. To my right, I can see the river.

Well, heck. Rather than describe it...

See the river off to the right?

Looking down Capitol at the state capitol building.


Aaaaand, my office. I had two monitors starting my first afternoon there (a sure sign that you will be heavily involved in documents). But beyond the monitors are the above views. The office actually has a divider in it - there's another window on the left that you can't see in this picture.

So. The point of this post. The thunderstorm this afternoon was a blast to watch. I face due west, and a lot of our weather comes from the west, so I got to see the rain and lightening coming in until it slammed the building and I couldn't see anything else. I love storms, and I've already mentioned what a weather nerd I am. Let's just say I wasn't quite as efficient this afternoon as I usually am...

One difference here that I'm really pretty much ok with? When you are on the 54th floor of a high rise and it storms? You can feel the building swaying in the wind. It's a little disconcerting the first oh hundred times it happens. I'm pretty much ok with not feeling the building sway on the 19th. 

No comments: