Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Getting Better...

Today I was able to walk down a flight of stairs without leaning most of my weight on the handrail and grimacing with every step. I didn't even walk like my legs had forgotten that they could bend. And squatting wasn't impossible (sure, it took about 10 seconds to get down into a squat, but it was doable).

This is serious progress, folks.

I've had a few aches and pains, the quads have just about screamed themselves out, and I've gone to bed around 8:30 the last couple of nights. Other than that, I feel pretty good after Sunday's long run.

So the question now is - what now? I did a half marathon in Fayetteville in April of last year. I will probably run it again this year, and hope for something cooler than 70 degree start temps and something less than 30 mph headwinds. That sucked donkey balls last year.

I've also got to figure out how to stay motivated. I'm not playing as much tennis right now, and my regular running has been pretty nonexistent except for long runs on the weekend. Maybe a gym for some yoga? Maybe unearth my bike from our disaster of a garage? I'm not sure what's next...but I'm pretty sure I don't have to figure it out this week. This week, I rest. I earned it.

This morning on the way to work I saw a car with a "26.2" sticker on it.

For the first time, I didn't have to feel the least bit envious about it. I did a marathon this weekend, and I came out of it feeling pretty good and totally willing to do another (NOT ANYTIME SOON). Yes. I am a badass, and proud of it. (OK, there are plenty of folks a lot more badass than I am, but I'm taking my time in the sun here; it's not every day that you are only 3 days removed from running 26.2 miles).

Eventually, I'll stop talking about the race. But damn. It's been a long time since I've been this proud of something, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

No comments: