Monday, April 23, 2012

Balance

The neverending quest - balance.  On several levels.

Balance among different aspects of life - kids, home, spouse, friends, work, exercise, self - is really damn near impossible.

I know I'm not the only person who deals with this, but sometimes the struggle to find what makes you happy - not just content, but happy - conflicts with other major things in your life. What do you do then? 

I'm not naive enough to think that life should always be happy.  Nor do I think I'm selfish enough to think that my happiness should trump everything around me.  At the same time, sometimes you have to stick up for the things that make you happy.  And sometimes that makes other people very unhappy indeed.

How do you know when you are reaching too far in one direction or the other, so that things go out of balance?  How far should you stretch?  I have no answer for this.  It reminds me of the film they had us watch in Governor's School - Koyaanisqatsi.  Life Out of Balance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tend to think of balance in life like a seesaw. One side is up, the other side is down.

Probably, though, it's more like a platform with a single point in the middle. One corner of the platform, of life, is family (the ones you're kin to AND the ones you just claim), one is work, one is things you reserve strictly for yourself and one is, well, everything else.

When you're in one corner, it tips the rest. Then you run back across that center point to try to right everything. But then that corner weighs everything down.

So, we're always moving from corner to corner, trying to bring everything back to level, but it's actually impossible. Unless you just stand in the middle and don't do anything. And that's not good, either.

If there's a trick, it's probably to enjoy process of running around, forever temporarily tying up the loose ends on the corners.

-David