Monday, July 25, 2011

Ireland, The Trip

So. Ireland.  

I'm writing this on Sunday night (maybe Monday morning?), apparently more jet lagged than I expected. It's just past midnight here in Dublin, but my body thinks it's dinnertime. Two Jamison's and fish and chips apparently can't convince it otherwise. 

So let's see, here's how things have shaken out so far. 

My mom and I made our Little Rock flight just fine - but there was "weather" in Chicago that delayed our flight out of LR by more than an hour. We originally had two hours to make our international connection in Chicago - this SHOULD have been plenty of time.

But when we were sitting on the tarmac at O'Hare, waiting for the grounds crew to "clear the jetway" so we could make our connecting flight, and I realized our flight was already boarding? I started getting slightly uneasy. When I figured out that we had to actually switch terminals - and go through security again - before we could get the gate, I got a little more nervous.  And when I saw the security line to get to our terminal? I pretty much quit stressing because we apparently weren't gonna make it and I started wondering where we should eat that night in Chicago.

As we stood in line at security, with 15 minutes left before our Dublin flight departed, two Aer Lingus reps showed up, looking for stragglers. Woo hoo! That's us! With that, we were whisked to the front of security, run - literally RUN - by the rep to our gate, and sent on board, panting, sweating, and realizing that sometimes, running late isn't a bad thing. If only security could always be so easy...

So yeah. Little bit of early drama. But the overnight flight was great, and the 30 minutes of sleep I got before we landed at 8am local time (2am CST) came in REAL handy. We found my aunt and cousin, found the driver to take us to the hotel, checked in, and immediately went back out.  By that afternoon, I remembered what it was like to fall asleep with my eyes open. I haven't done that since a law school class...

More to come when I can form coherent thoughts.

No comments: