Wednesday, July 20, 2011

T-Minus 47 Hours

So...just under 2 days until I leave for Ireland for 9 days. I think I've actually just about finished packing. Assuming I haven't forgotten anything, I think I'm gonna get away with taking a suitcase that would still be considered a carry-on. NOT that I'm planning on carrying it on with me, but my other option was a big ass suitcase that we take on ski trips. Since I despise hauling large suitcases around...the small one it is.

And while I might occasionally gripe about being short, there are some situations where being 5 feet tall can come in handy. Packing for long trips, and comfort on airplanes are two of those situations. So yeah. I'll be rewearing a few things, may end up washing a few things along the way if necessary, but I'd rather do that than overpack.
This time around I decided to try the rolling method for packing. I've tried it before and had so-so luck, but this time around it may make me a believer. The above picture shows me about 80% packed. Believe it or not, that really is carry-on sized. The thing on top is my toiletries kit, to give you some perspective. Underneath that is 4 pairs of pants/jeans, 5-6 decent weight sweaters, 3-4 long sleeved shirts of varying weight, 1 set of running clothes, pajamas, a few short sleeved shirts, a few tank tops, and probably some other things that I'm forgetting.

And here is the same bag about 99% packed.


I added two pairs of shoes, socks, underwear, a raincoat, and a couple of other things. So yeah. I've got two days to wonder what I've forgotten and turn a currently easy-to-close suitcase into a sit-on-the-damn-thing-to zipper-it-shut.

Anyway. I know you guys wanted to see my packing job for Ireland, right? Because it feels like a huge accomplishment to me. I'm really not sure I'll be able to get it back in there again... And God help me if TSA decides to rifle through it. They may have to give me another suitcase to get it all back in.

No comments: