Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Summer Colds and The Lazy

Did the drive down to Houston last night.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I really don't mind driving too much - most of the time it's pretty relaxing.  I get a chance to listen to some new music, catch up on podcasts, let my mind wander to things it needs to think about.  Last night was a bit more tiring than usual, probably because I'm coming down with one of those fun summer cold thingys.  That's a technical term, by the way.  At any rate, it was an uneventful drive, which is always a good thing.   

Every time I come down here, the differences between Houston and Little Rock smack me in the face.  The fragrant landfill odor on the north side of the city, as you come in on 59.  The lack of any sort of night sounds (frogs, crickets, bugs - you know, the noises that drive you batty in an Arkansas summer).  The humidity that makes you wonder why people on the gulf coast aren't born with gills.  Believe me when I say that Houston beats LR hands down, no comparison, end of game on higher humidity.  Somehow, I don't think LR is losing anything here.  On the flip side, Houston does have LR pretty well beat on the restaurant scene, though.  There is some damn good food down here. 

Nope, that has nothing to do with why I try to exercise and run.  Nada, zip, move along, nothing to see here. 

Speaking of running, I did manage to get a 3 miler in yesterday.  I'm trying to decide if I want to get one in today, too, but I'm feeling pretty lazy.  I could play softball tonight with some friends, but see:  the lazy.  Most likely I'll just go have dinner and wine with a friend and collapse in bed at a stupidly early hour.  Just another day in the exciting life of a traveling, working mom in her mid 30s.

No comments: