Monday, September 20, 2010

Sharpening the Edge


Ah, another Monday morning.  Kiddos are off at school, and things are about to get insane at work for the next week or two.  Thrilling.  Probably some more travel in my near future.

I feel like I've spent several months (maybe years?) in a holding pattern of sorts in my life.  I haven't exactly fallen backward, but I'm not moving forward, either.  It's just sort of a stagnant feeling, a relaxing - a dulling of the edge.  I'm thinking it's time to break out of that.  Maybe attempt something new, take a step forward, take a risk, etc.  I'm trying to read more books, fill my spare time (ha ha, such as it is) with things that are engaging and make me think.  Granted, there are definitely times when you want to unplug and quit thinking.  I think those times are totally necessary, just like fluffy books and reality TV.  But if you do it too much, you end up making it a habit instead of a break, and that's what I've been doing. 

So it's time to break out.  I'm trying to think of ways to challenge myself, remember what it's like to pursue a goal.  I'm just not sure what goal I want to set out there for myself.  Starting a blog was one (well, really, just starting to write more - this was an easy way to do that), but what else?  What else can I use as a springboard to break out of whatever slump I'm in?  I just feel like I've let myself get lazy, and I'm not liking that feeling.  There are far too few days in our lives to get lazy.  I need to sharpen my edge.

No comments: