Monday, September 13, 2010

Traveling Monday

I'm traveling for a few days this week.  It's always hard to leave the fam and hit the road, although I usually enjoy it once I get on my way.  So I hit the road WAY too early this morning (6:30am flight out of LR airport) and am fighting some afternoon sleepiness.

When I travel, it is usually to Houston for work.  Fortunately, I have several friends here and usually try to spend time with them when I'm here.  Tonight there is a baseball game on the agenda.  My Astros have not had a great year, but they've been showing a bit of life here in the last month.  At least there's some hope for next season...  At any rate, a friend of mine has tickets, so we're going to head out there for some ballpark food and drinks a little later.  Totally looking forward to it.

I grew up watching baseball - I watched and/or listened to the St. Louis Cardinals with my dad for many years.  I can clearly remember watching the pivotal (blown) call at first base during one of the World Series games in the 80s - if you watched the Cards during that time, you know which one I'm talking about.  Man, you would have thought someone had died at our house that night.  After spending 10 years in Houston, though, it was hard not to root for the hometown team.  Not to mention that we were here during some of the most exciting seasons the Astros have ever had.  Hell, the main reason we have cable these days is to watch the Stros play.

My son plays t-ball and loves watching MLB.  Now, for some inexplicable reason, he adores the Texas Rangers (American League, are you kidding me?  WTH?), so we have to compromise between the Stros and the Rangers if both teams are playing.  Fortunately, he also loves the Cardinals, especially Pujols, so all hope is not lost.  I love that he is so into it.  He tosses the ball around while the games are on and "runs the bases" around our sofa.  Now I just have to figure out how to convince him to swear allegiance to the National League...

No comments: