Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Can't Argue With That

I've mentioned elsewhere that I do not like to shop. It's just not something I've ever really enjoyed. It probably stems from being too damn short in a world of tall people. Probably also has something to do with the fact that when I was in the teen years, when how you look is so important, I felt like nothing looked good on me. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but I was certainly not one of the cute skinny girls during the time when that counts for so damn much.

Anyway.

I don't like to shop. My shopping trips consist of knowing what I need, going directly to the store I think is most likely to have that item, determining within 5 minutes whether they have it in my size, and either trying on and purchasing said item or moving on to the next likely store. I don't shop sales because my size is so rarely available and usually picked over. Really, I don't need floral patterned Capri pants - who the hell thinks they look good on short folk anyway? My legs are short enough without that kind of help, thank you very much.

Lucky for me, J likes to shop. And often finds good deals on stuff in my size, and knows me well enough to usually pick things I like. So every now and then, a package shows up on the front door that holds fun stuff for me. Like today, for example.  Exhibit A contained two items for me - a very cute top and a bathing suit.

Yes, you read that right. A bathing suit. There is precedent here. A few years ago he picked out a bathing suit online that ended up working great. The dude shops much better than I do and usually manages to save money in the process. Plus I don't have to brave the damn department store. That's a win/win.

So before everyone got home today, I tried the stuff on.  The top fit perfectly. I already know that's going to Vegas with us in a few weeks and will probably be completely worn out by the time summer is over.

Then the bathing suit. The top worked great. The bottom, I wasn't as enamored with. It felt kind of ... skimpy. The first thing I thought was that maybe I needed a bigger size, but I wasn't sure that would solve the issue. I needed a second opinion. When J got home, I tried it on again to make sure my first assessment (bathing suit does not work) was the correct one.

As I walked out of the bathroom to show it off, Alyssa looked up and asked "Mommy, what is that? Is that a bathing suit?" I told her it was, and asked her what she thought. At first she said she liked it, and J hadn't really made up his mind. But after I had made a few turns in front of the two of them, Alyssa looked at me and said, "Mommy? I don't think I like it. Your booty is hanging out."

Thanks Alyssa girl. THAT was the kind of assessment I was looking for. And back to the store it goes.  I'll try again in another day or two when the trauma has worn off.

2 comments:

Gina and Michael said...

Really?! I am trying to figure out where to go with this...

Around the Page said...

Haha, what do you mean? The dislike of shopping? Or Alyssa's comment? 'Cause the swimsuit was definitely NOT a good cut for me!