Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June, ALREADY?

Wow. I cannot believe it's already June 1.

I'm spending some time this morning trying to plan  out the summer for the kiddos and myself. It's gonna go by frighteningly fast. I keep trying to find a routine we can fall into, but every few weeks something will mess it up. A trip, swim lessons, visitors, etc. There will likely be no routine.

It's funny, though. I have this vision for a nice, long, lazy summer with the kiddos, all of us just hanging out. But maybe the long, lazy summer really only applies to kids. Because I don't see a lot of laziness in front of me this summer. Nor does it seem very long. And my fear is that I turn around, it's August, and the main memories I have are of Benjamin playing Xbox and Alyssa wandering the house, wanting someone to play with.

So here's the plan.

We're gonna do the summer reading program at the library. My hope is to do a little reading time most days with the kiddos, probably in the morning.

We're gonna swim. A lot. The kiddos are getting better in the water, but they are not quite comfortable in it and they don't float yet. They've got swim lessons starting next week, and we're gonna be water babies for a few weeks I think. This means I'm gonna have to get over not enjoying the water. And stock up on 100spf sunscreen, 'cause we redheads don't exactly tan well.

We're gonna learn how to ride bikes without training wheels. This involves making sure the bikes are in working order, all helmets fit, tires are aired up, and we manage to get out in the cool part of the day. And find a decent, safe place to ride.

I'd like to take the kiddos on a few trips. We have relatives in Dallas whom we don't see much, and the new Legoland there would be heaven for Benjamin. See: more planning.

So there are a few things that I want to do. Funny enough, though, each one of those involves a decent amount of planning, prep, and activity on my part. See? No such thing as "lazy" up there.  Ah well. We'll have some good memories, anyway, right? And it will NOT be of Xbox games and television shows.

No comments: