Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tired

Good lord I'm tired. I've done some pretty heavy duty workouts the last 5 days straight (either a run or a tennis match), and that doesn't include any "extras" like playing at the pool with the kiddos, housework, yard work, and any other activity that came along.

Last night, I played a singles match against a local junior who is preparing for southerns. If you aren't familiar with junior tennis, southerns is THE tournament that your entire year revolves around if you play in the south. She is headed to Rome, Georgia tomorrow for this tournament, and was trying to get some last minute match play in.

Talking to her about southerns made me feel so incredibly happy to be past that point in my tennis career. Your entire spring and summer in juniors revolve around preparing for this tournament. There is a TON of pressure to do well, and a lot of logistics and work that go into it. For me, Southerns meant a long-ass driving trip, and a lot of sacrificing on my family's part. Please to ignore the fact that I never did very well, either.

My team will go to sectionals (the old folks' equivalent of the juniors' southerns) in July. And can I just say how much I prefer the team atmosphere and the camaraderie that comes with team tennis? Not that camaraderie didn't exist in juniors, but it's a bit different. There is still pressure to play well, to get ready for the heat, to not let the team down. But it's not just about one person - it's about the team. And it's not just about tennistennistennis in my life for 3 months leading up to it - it's still about kiddos and traveling and summer and life. And a little tennis thrown in.

And, more immediately, it's about a trip to Vegas this weekend. With ten other folks, some of whom I know well, some of whom I've never met. I'm fairly certain there will be some excellent shenanigans and stories to come out of this trip. Vegas usually incites those types of things, not that I'd know anything about that. I may try to post tomorrow, but if not...see you on the flip side. Vegas, baby.

No comments: