Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Weekend Flow


This weekend went by amazingly fast.  Time always moves fast on the weekends, but for some reason it seemed to go double speed this weekend.  When the kiddos were younger, it felt like no big feat to get out the door by 9am if we needed to; maybe it was because they really had no say in what went on and couldn't voice their disapproval or drag their feet.  Or it could have been because we'd all been up since 6am and were just ready to get the hell out of the house.  Whatever the reason, my big plans to get out the door and running errands by 9am THIS Saturday did not happen.  It was 10:30 before I was on my way, and I seemed to hit every red light and make every single wrong turn it was possible to make.  I had a list of about four things I wanted to accomplish in the 2.5 hours I had available.  After trips to six different stores (and probably twice as many wrong turns), I think I marked off two of the four things, and I was running late.  It was frustrating.  The rest of the day actually went pretty well, though - we baked Halloween cookies with some friends, went out to dinner, and generally had a lot of fun (well, the kids and I did; J had to work until dinner on Saturday). 

Today, although not as frustrating, went just as fast.  Pancakes and eggs in the morning, followed by household crap that needed to get done.  I actually managed to get in a half hour nap at some point, which was definitely needed.  I also was able to squeeze in a 3 mile run this afternoon, which started out really difficult but ended up feeling good.  Then we did dinner, the trick or treating thing with the kiddos, and now the weekend is over.  There are plenty of things I didn't get done this weekend, but I turn into a pumpkin after about 9pm most nights, regardless of whether it is Halloween, so my weekend is essentially over.

One other thing that happened this weekend  - on Saturday morning, I spent about 45 minutes in the glider with my girl as she woke up for the day.  She brought in a blanket and her animals (she has a complete menagerie) and cuddled up, which is a little out of character for her.  At 4.5 years old, she tends to be not especially given to lots of hugging or cuddling - most of the time she'd rather be playing with her brother or doing something active.  But Saturday morning, she snuggled in and we rocked and talked while my boy played with his Legos around us.  It was a very pleasant and peaceful way to start the day.  I guess maybe that's part of the reason I didn't get out of the house until 10:30 that morning, so I guess in retrospect, I'll take the late start in exchange for the good memory.

No comments: