Saturday, October 16, 2010

Whew.



Holy cow the last few days have been busy.  I worked every night last week except for one; my eyes are getting blurry from reading so much. 

Drove back to LR from Houston last night, it was a surprisingly fast drive.  I just zoned out for several hours and listened to music.  How is it that I'm only just now learning about The National???  One of the guys I worked with this week turned me on to them; he had them going in the conference room we were working in.  They make me think of Morphine, with a similar murky sound that reminds you of dark 3am parties.

I haven't exercised since Wednesday, and I'm not sure how much of a chance I'll get this weekend.  J is in Vegas for a boys' weekend, which makes me only slightly jealous (I do love a good Vegas trip). But I've missed the kiddos and am looking forward to spending the weekend with them.  We're going to watch the Hogs game with some friends, maybe watch a Star Wars movie, probably do a little shopping, and I think we've got my sister-in-law and her family coming in tomorrow night for dinner.  So we'll definitely stay busy.

The boys' weekend in Vegas is a revisit of at trip that happened 7 or 8 years ago.  Almost the same cast of characters (minus one guy I think), all folks we were friends with in Houston.  J and I were talking about the differences between then and now - mainly that everyone now has kids (all the guys are part of the couples we used to hang around with), and everyone is in a more stable financial position than we were then.  Two couples are expecting their second kiddo, and I think we are the only ones who are entirely out of diapers - THANK GOD. 

While I am sort of jealous about it, I'm glad he's going.  I usually try to take at least one trip on my own every year (typically to see girlfriends in other states), and it sounds strange, but I enjoy the time away.  It's a little different now that I'm traveling so much for work; the trips aren't as much about getting away for a break as much as they are reconnecting with good friends.  When the kiddos were babies, it was a LOT about taking a much needed break!  But I think the separate trips are good, especially when he's been holding down the fort with me traveling so much.  At the same time, it's kind of strange to have the kiddos to myself all weekend.  It feels like I'm going from 90mph to a screeching halt.   Have to remember to slow down and recharge this weekend.

Off to see what kind of chaos is going on in my house; judging by the noise, there has been a (hopefully small) flood in the bathroom while I've been writing this...

No comments: