Monday, December 5, 2011

Death of a Friendship

I've recently managed to kill a friendship in my life. That's always fun, isn't it?

It's not one that holds much meaning in my life any more. Its time has passed, and I suppose I've gotten what I needed from it, learned my lessons, and moved on. There are always people - friends - who are peripherally in your life. I can think of several friends off the top of my head who were around for critical periods of time, only to later drift away without fanfare or even any realization that it was happening. There are unfinished relationships, too - the ones where you'd like a chance to say a few more things to whomever it is that is no longer in your life. And there are the relationships with people who you talk with once a year, if that, but you always seem to be able to pick up where you left off.

This isn't any of those, though. This is one where I've said everything that needs to be said, I've done everything that needs to be done, and it honestly is just complete. The circle has closed, and if it ever opens again, I'd be surprised. I think that somehow makes it easier. That's not to say I won't miss it; it was extremely important at certain times in my life. But I'm at peace with it. And I'm not sure I could possibly ask for anything else.

No comments: