Thursday, December 15, 2011

Elves...

Yesterday, a friend of mine posted a link to an article lambasting the Christmas Elf. Now, we don't have an elf. I've thought about it occasionally, but never acted on it. You guys know my feeling on Christmas cards; what on earth would possess me to purchase an elf, right?

So I was tempted to click the "like" button agreeing with the article, but it occurred to me that I might be a wee bit hypocritical with that one. After all, for some folks, that truly is great fun. And some kiddos will have some wonderful memories from their Christmas Elf. It's just not my deal.

Yesterday morning, I went to the kiddos' school to ostensibly 'help' with a Christmas program going on there. I showed up late, so pretty much all I did was stand around and chat. And I really didn't even do that very well - I just listened. I didn't feel like I had too much to add to the conversations, and despite the folks all being very nice, it's just not a group I seem to fit in with. I'm thinking these must be the Elf moms. I'm not sure how it happened, but that gene skipped me.

Now that I think about it, I'm apparently missing a lot of helpful 'mom' type genes. The arts and crafts gene, the 'manages to keep a house clean' gene, the 'has neat ideas and carries them out for her kiddos' gene, the 'never raises her voice' gene, the 'my kids always have matching socks and clean clothes' gene - sheesh. It's a good thing there wasn't a test I had to pass to become a parent, because I would've failed. The Christmas Elf would've just been the beginning.

No comments: