Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Notes from the Race

As I said, the race was actually really well run, well organized, and well supported. There were plenty of aid stations, more energy gels along the course than I ever expected, and they got lucky enough to have a fantastic day for a race. My time from my garmin was 2:17:35, which is a 10:26 average pace.

I had been planning to run this one with a couple of friends, so I didn't really intend to make this a "hard" race or go for time or anything. I just wanted to get a nice long run under my belt and see what the hills were like. As it turns out, though, I'm not really too good at running races "slowly." I ran with one of my friends until mile 5, where we separated (mainly because I had to stop for "over hydration", and she was able to keep going). Here are the first five miles:

Mile 1: 10:12
Mile 2: 12:02
Mile 3: 10:13
Mile 4: 10:42
Mile 5: 15:03 <------- see the break there????

Average over the first 5 miles: 11:38 (although with the 15 minute lap, it would have been closer to 10:45 average). 

The second part of the race was me attempting to catch up with my friend, and the proceed to leave her behind when she had to stop for nature's call. Once I did that, I decided to give it a go and see what kind of times I would have if I ran hard.

Mile 6: 9:46
Mile 7: 9:39
Mile 8: 10:11
Mile 9: 9:14
Mile 10: 9:25
Mile 11: 10:04
Mile 12: 10:02
Mile 13: 9:06
Mile 14: 9:19 (average over .2 mi).

Average over the last miles: 9:41 pace.

I felt really good about the last half of the race. I'm going to have to figure out a better scheme for pre-race hydration (you know, like actually taking care of things before the race starts???), but I'm very happy with the last 8 miles of that run. I actually felt so good finishing this race that the idea of a marathon didn't frighten me as much as it has in the past.

Of course, I am now fighting an evil cold, but I feel less like death warmed over than I did yesterday. So I guess that's progress, right? And I'm not having too much trouble getting around (read: not very sore), so I feel like my base is strong. So yeah. Good race, good friends, good time. Same time next year?

No comments: