Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Changes

Well. This week has been ... interesting. And it's only Wednesday - shouldn't it be Friday already?

I've been in Houston since Sunday evening. Monday afternoon, I made my way downstairs to the named partner's office at my firm. We spent over three months on a trial team a few years ago, and I have deep respect and admiration for both him and the firm that he has built over the years.

I made a deal with myself before I went to see him, feeling slightly silly about it but needing a little help. If he was in his office, with no one else in there, and he wasn't on the phone or otherwise distracted, it was a sign. If you know anything about senior partners at busy law firms? You know this is an improbable scenario at best.

So I wandered downstairs and peeked in his office. Nope, not at his desk. Pretty much what I figured, I'd have to wait. No, wait. He's sitting at his work table. With no one else in there. And not on the phone. Almost like he was waiting on someone to come talk to him.

So I took about 20 seconds, gathered up a little strength and composure, and went in to quit the job I've had for the last 7 years.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Wow. I know you have a plan, hope things are good for you.