Friday, April 1, 2011

You Must Be Dreaming?

Alternate Title:  More Educational Ranting.

Next week, Benjamin takes the Iowa Basic Skills test.  I remember taking them in elementary school, although I can't remember if we took them in kindergarten.  I remember them being important.  I did not realize how much emphasis the school was placing on the test until B started talking about not passing kindergarten if he didn't do well on the test.  Say WHAT? 

A few days before spring break, the school sent home a thick packet of review materials for the test.  I skimmed through the packet, realizing that pretty much the entire year's material had been geared towards this test.  I'm not sure why, but this pissed me off.  Yes, they are supposed to learn to read, and yes they are supposed to start math - but what about some science stuff?  A few geography lessons?  It felt so ... limited. 

I know he hasn't just learned about reading and writing at school this year; we've had to do several projects that are beyond those two subjects.  But I also know they have watched quite a few movies in class lately, and it irritates me. 

While not really strict about it, our household generally does not watch much TV.  B may get half an hour or so after he gets home from school to play Star Wars Xbox, but most nights, the television doesn't come again until he gets home from school the next day.  There are often too many other things going on, and there's too little time between dinner time and bed time.**  So if he's watching movies at school, not only is he decreasing his learning time, but he's also tripling and quadrupling the amount of television he gets on a normal weekday. 

This morning, he told me about a dream he had last night, where he missed doing a page of some homework for the test.  And he was worried about it because he was going to get into trouble.  Isn't kindergarten a little young to be having test anxiety dreams?  I suppose they have to emphasize it to some extent.  Getting 5 and 6 year olds to take things seriously can be a bit (ok, more than a bit) challenging at times. 

But really.  I know I have a lot more of this in the future, with both kiddos.  I'm just irritated at the emphasis this test gets, the fact that they've taught to the test so strongly, and the stress it puts on a kindergartner.  I know he needs to get used to it, too; tests are just a part of schooling.  And it's probably just a mama bear response to her kiddo already getting stressed about school.  I suppose it will be a good indication of things we need to work on.  But his confidence has already taken quite a hit, and he's nervous.  It's just irritating. 

And probably I shouldn't be that irritated - what else are they supposed to learn about in kindergarten, for goodness sakes?  Reading and math are two foundations.  I just need to get over it.  And figure out how to give him enough confidence to not be nervous about the test.  Right? 



**OK, so it's baseball season again, and TV will probably be on a little more frequently at night.  Gotta get the baseball fix, after all...

3 comments:

Gina and Michael said...

I would love to respond to this but really need to go to bed. I am sick thinking of B-Man stressing over standardized testing though. He is a kinder kid, come on. Seriously insane...unfortunately the reality. Have you considered private school?! ;-)

Unknown said...

The eldest took his required standardized test for this year. We took a few practice test to get him ready, but this is one of the reasons that we are homeschooling. No required mandatory testing until 3rd and we get to add in things we want like history and science and Latin or Spanish.

Around the Page said...

@Gina, I know. KINDERGARTEN. And it's going just fine (they are on their second and last day today), but there was a lot of emphasis on it. And until I sat down and really talked to him about it, I had no idea they were talking about it so much. I'm not sure I can go the private route...I just don't think I want to do it. There are issues there, too.

@Lee, I've actually thought about homeschooling. I'm not sure I have the temprament (sp) for it, nor the patience. And I'm not sure how you convert yourself from a parent to a teacher for several hours each day. I haven't dismissed the idea completely, though; we have a good friend that homeschool, and the difference is obvious. But she was a teacher in her former life, and I'm not sure I'm as qualified as the teachers in the district to teach my child. They've at least got some training...