Thursday, May 5, 2011

Domestic Goddess

Like many houses, we have an iron and an ironing board. Unlike many houses, our iron and ironing board may not have been used since we moved in two and a half years ago. I don't iron. If it requires ironing? I don't buy it. If it needs ironing? It's probaby dry clean only.

So yesterday, my mom was over at my house hanging some drapes. Did I mention that my mom totally rocks in many departments, including the "deciding on fabric, making, and hanging drapes" department? Yeah. So she was hemming some drapes, and needed the iron and ironing board. After remembering that we did indeed have those items, she got them set up and did whatever she does to make stuff look fantastic. This is not my area.

When she finished, it was late afternoon and she asked me what to do with the still-hot iron. I told her to just leave it on the kitchen counter and I'd put it up later. Of course, it's still sitting there this morning, but that's really not the point of this little vignette. 

I had a tennis match scheduled last night, so I fed the kiddos and hit the road as soon as J got home from work. When I finished my match, I called J to let him know I was headed home. The following conversation ensued:

J:     Ummm...you made quesadillas for the boy's Cinco de Mayo festival earlier today, right?
80:   Yeah, why?
J:      Please tell me you didn't use the iron to make them?
80:   *cracks up.*
80:    That was funny, babe. Good joke.
J:      *silence*
80:     You WERE joking, right?
J:      Well...I just thought maybe you got in a hurry and needed the extra heat or something...I could see it happening. I couldn't think of any other reason the iron would be out!
80:    *silence*

Yeah. Domestic goddess I am not. On the plus side, apparently the expectations are lower than I thought!

No comments: