Tuesday, May 3, 2011

On Earworms and Armadillos

I mentioned recently that I've been introducing the kiddos to Jerry Jeff Walker - it's a rite of passage, as far as I'm concerned. I also mentioned that they were not exactly enamored with him based on the songs I had played thus far. They've got a few years before I bust out "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" and "Trashy Women," in case you are wondering. But somehow, I managed to miss one of the most important songs that I should have played for them. Granted, it's not really JJW's song, but he did sing it, and it is very much his sound.

A few nights ago, J suggested that I play London Homesick Blues for them, also known as Home with the Armadillo. How did I miss that one? So I immediately queued it up and blasted it from the Ipod. We played it once through and got distracted with other stuff going on around the house, but apparently the lyric "home with the armadillo" stuck with Benjamin, whether he realized it or not.

Later that same night, I pulled up the chords for LHB to see if I could pick my way through the song on the guitar. I didn't tell anyone what I was playing, 'cause it's kind of pointless right now; my playing is still pretty clumsy. But I fumbled through it a couple of times, with B on the couch next to me playing Angry Birds. I wasn't too bad as far as I was concerned, I'm still just happy to see improvement. As I finished playing through it the second time, I told him it was time for bed and he needed to head upstairs. He bounced off the couch and immediately started singing "I wanna go home with the armadillo."

I asked him if was singing it because I had just been playing it.

"No!  You weren't playing that! I just like the song."

I'm not sure whether I should be proud of his music memory or embarrassed at my (lack of) playing ability. Maybe a little of both?