Thursday, May 26, 2011

Skirt Action

J and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary last night. The actual date was Monday, but we had too much going on earlier in the week so we pushed to last night. We went to the Capital Bar here in LR and had a drink, then had dinner at Ashley's. It was a very nice night out. 

It's been a while since we've gone out somewhere nice, and I got the urge to dress up a little. Now, that happens VERY RARELY to me. Even rarer is the notion that I might actually wear something that shows some leg - you know, like a skirt. Unless we're talking tennis, of course. But I thought it would be kind of fun, so I went through my closet yesterday to see what kind of skirt action I had.

I found one single solitary non-work skirt. I'm so not a skirt person.

I pulled out the one skirt - black - and tried it on. I could be wrong, but I think I bought that skirt to wear to some friends' wedding in Vegas. Right after law school. NINE years ago. Pre-kids, pre-gray hair, pre-30s. There is still a picture floating around here somewhere of J and I at that wedding reception. We look achingly young. Hard to remember life before kids and gray hair sometimes...

But another thing? I don't remember the damn skirt being quite so short back then, either. I know there is fashion protocol for those of us in our mid 30s and how long skirts and dresses are supposed to be -to the knee, past the knee, whatever. This one wasn't even in the same area code as the knees, but I didn't have anything else, so screw it.

With all the exercise I've been doing lately? It probably looked better last night than it did 9 years ago, and no fashion police descended upon me during the evening to pass judgment on its length. (Probably because they knew it was a waste of time - I have no fashion sense what.so.ever.) But I still may consider adding a few additional skirts to the wardrobe. One more ought to do it for the next 10 years, don't you think? Cause really? I don't think I'll be wanting to rock the miniskirt when I'm approaching mid 40s.  Then again, I don't like to shop and I'm pretty damn lazy, so you never know...

No comments: