Friday, May 6, 2011

Gentlemen Prefer Blonds?

On Wednesday, B's class had a Cinco de Mayo festival for the kindergarten classes. I took cheese quesadillas (which were made on the stove and not with an iron, thank you very much). During the festival, some vaguely Latin music was played so the kids could salsa. I stood on the sidelines, watching my son dance (using that term loosely here) with various other kids. Of course, he danced with his good friend Andi, a cute little girl with long blond hair that he knew from daycare. And then he found Anna, a friend in his class who has long blond hair. His third partner was a girl I was unfamiliar with, but she also had ... long blond hair. I started thinking that maybe there was a pattern there.

Today, I sat in on some of the classes while the teachers went to a teacher appreciation lunch, including a couple of second grade classes. No, I didn't know a soul in the second grade classes, or the teachers, but how sad would it be to have to miss a teacher appreciation day lunch because no parents could watch your students? Anyway.

I paced the hall for about half an hour, keeping an eye on two different second grade classes. In one of the classes, a little girl with short blond hair looked at me and said, "hey, aren't you Benjamin's mom?" Yes, yes I am. She is in after school care with him, and I thought I knew her name, so I asked, "are you Josie?" "No, I'm Christina. But he always tries to sit by Josie."

Josie, of course, is a cute little girl with blond hair. I'm pretty sure he has thing for blonds. 

3 comments:

Gina and Michael said...

The teacher in me loves that you watched the classes while the teachers went to their teacher appreciation lunch! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

About the point that Andrew could actually HAVE a conversation (when is that...two or three?), we talked about our favorite colors. He told me his (no, I don't remember what it was), and asked me what my favorite color was. I said blonde, congratulating myself at my own cleverness.

About a year ago, the topic came up again. "I know what your favorite color is, Dad," he said. "Blonde!"

Filed that one away under be-careful-what-you-say-to-your-kids.

-David

Around the Page said...

@David, that's pretty damn funny. I think your nephew would sympathize with your favorite color choice. Although he may come by it honestly. I could totally see Don answering the "favorite color" question exactly as you did. :-P