Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What's Up?

It's been a strangely busy week or so! My last day of work isn't officially until May 31, but the volume of work has dropped to nearly zero in the last few weeks.  NOT that I'm complaining or anything!

But all those things I used to wish I could get done instead of working? Now I don't really have much excuse not to do them. Funny how that works...

The house we are living in is at least 15, maybe 20 years old, so there is a decent amount of upkeep that is necessary. It was pretty solidly built as far as we can tell, but as with any house, there are just things that need a little TLC over time.

So, bullet format (because I'm drawing a blank on anything more substantive), here is what I've been working on lately:
  • Yesterday, I found myself in the crawlspace under the house, dust mask and flashlight in hand, retaping insulation that has come apart from the A/C ducts. It wouldn't be so bad, but there was a lot of rat shit everywhere - not my favorite thing. I also spent about 20 minutes inspecting underneath the house for leaks, evidence of problems, etc. It's amazing what you can learn when you follow the piping for your house.
  • Yesterday, I also caulked a problem spot in the master bath shower that has been causing us trouble from day 1. Let's just ignore the fact that day 1 happened 2.5 years ago, and that it took less than 15 minutes to fix... Now, as long as the fix actually works and stops the water leak into the crawlspace, I'll be happy.
  • I also investigated tiling to put down in the master bath. A lot of this house has been updated fairly recently, but the master bath is an early 1990s throwback. We're planning on completely ripping out and redoing the shower, putting down new tile, new vanities, and a new tub. How much of this I will do is still up in the air, but we know for a fact that someone is going to have repair the subfloor where the leak has been occurring for the last 2.5 years. Yay. I can say with certainty that that will not be me repairing the subfloor.
  • Random yard work has also occurred. Our neighbors probably hate our guts for letting the lawn go over the past few years. We just haven't had time to work on it, and with all the trees in our yard? It looks like a damn jungle.
  • Cleaned out the gutters I could reach, and discovered there are some spots in the roof that are gonna need attention ASAP.
  • Discovered two dead trees in the back yard that need to come down ASAP.
Honestly, I could go on, but I'm starting to depress myself with the balance of what has occurred v. what needs to occur.

Interesting life I lead, eh? Feel free to come help out, maybe I'll stumble on something more interesting to write about...

No comments: