Monday, November 28, 2011

Conroy

I've been reading Pat Conroy's autobiographical My Reading Life over the last few weeks. Conroy wrote The Great Santini, Lords of Discipline, and Prince of Tides, all of which I've read and enjoyed. This one, however, is probably my favorite because of the insight it gives into his writing. He also waxes poetic about words and phrases and books and authors - things that I adore.

I've had about four separate times in the book (and it's a fairly short one) where I've paused, put the book down for a few moments, and reflected on what he's said.

"I reach for a story to save my own life."

This one is my favorite, followed closely by this one:

"Hurt is a great teacher. Maybe the greatest of all."

These statement, separated by about 2 pages in the book, ring incredibly true to me. During some of the more painful times in my life, books have helped me make sense of events and situations, and have helped me keep my sanity (what little there was of it, anyway).

I've not been reading as much lately for one reason or another. I forget how nourishing a good read can be. Too bad there are only 24 hours in a day...

No comments: