Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Don't Be Stupid

I didn't get a chance to do my long run this weekend, so I ended up doing it yesterday morning / early afternoon. The goal was 12 miles, even though I had only done 1 of the 3 midweek runs that I was supposed to do last week. I'm not sure whether it was my slackerness on that front, or the 20mph wind gusts, or the 80 degree weather, or whether I just wasn't hydrated / fortified correctly, but I only managed 10.75. I don't tend to cut runs short very often, but when I paused to get a drink before finishing the last 1.25 miles, I just didn't feel right.

I can be as hard core as anyone, but when it comes to pushing my body what I think is too far? I just don't do it. I've never been a fan of working out so hard that you puke, or pushing yourself to injury or to the very brink of passing out or whatever. I think you can achieve great results without being stupid. And I felt "off" enough yesterday that it made me think that finishing the last bit of distance, without anyone running with me, would be stupid. I'm irritated, yes, and sore as hell today, but oh well. Perhaps I'll now be motivated to get the weekly runs in, instead of just counting on long distance for the weekend. We'll see, right?

On a different front, the kindergarten teachers at the kiddos' schools had a parent meeting last night to talk about testing and test scores and all manner of goodness. I saw the emphasis test scores got last year towards the end of the year, when they focused on the skills they need for testing, and it irritated me. I'm a little easier with it this year, because I haven't seen as much of that yet. And I feel better after the meeting last night, because they are asking for help from home to work on some of those skills, so they can continue to teach other stuff in the classroom. I'm good with that. We were given some tools and suggestions on what to work on, many of which I know the girl is going to really enjoy.

It still makes me sad, though, how much emphasis this stuff gets. Good teachers should never have to fear for their jobs because of a decision a 5 year old makes. But that's what can happen, and it is very frustrating. Not to mention the fact that the main focus is on growth. I'm not knocking that idea - in fact, I think it's wonderful to show improvement over the year. At the same time, I know my kiddos don't always improve in a linear fashion. B's reading went in fits and starts last year, but took a huge jump over the summer. What do you do with kids like that? The ones who are absolutely smart enough, who are getting the correct teaching, and just haven't quite made the leap yet? Because if you have kids, you know how that happens. They may improve a small amount over a few months, and then make a huge leap. And my takeaway from last night is if that small improvement happens over a testing period, regardless of what happens next, the teacher is screwed. The testing mentality, as it stands, sucks.

Stepping down from the soapbox now, I promise. Although I kind of liked being up high for a few minutes...maybe I'll do that more often.

No comments: