Friday, August 26, 2011

$%##@#%

Well, dammit.

The wrist has not healed. Three backhands into warmup last night, my left wrist was screaming bloody murder, even though I've done nothing with it since I injured it nearly three weeks ago. Dammit. Time to go see the doc, I suppose. Crap crap crap. It's nicely swollen again this morning and hurts to move. Back to advil and wrapping it; doc's appt next Thursday. Dammit dammit dammit.

On the plus side, my mixed partner played the backhand side terrifically well last night, I played forehand decently, and we managed to pull out a win even with my crappy, ineffective one-handed backhand slice.

I also remembered one of the reasons I do NOT enjoy mixed doubles - male egos and attitudes. Sorry to generalize, guys, but it's usually the males that make these matches difficult. I can remember lots of male temper tantrums on the court, but very few (if any?) female temper tantrums during mixed doubles matches. I've damn near walked off the court on my own partner when he was being too much of a dick. I'm NOT saying they are all like that - the partner I'm playing with now is awesome. But the few that are pains? Are serious pains. Lucky me, we played one of those last night. Joy.

I've played a lot of matches this year, and I don't remember verbally questioning a single call. It's just not that big a deal to me most of the time, and the match shouldn't hang on one point; one bad call should not change the outcome. But last night? Holy shit. The dude on the other side called one of my shots out (in the middle of a tense game, at deuce) that was oh-so-clearly on the line and in. Serious jackass.  I questioned it and he completely ignored me. Obviously he wasn't going to change his call, but from his behavior, he knew he'd made a shitty call. Not that he was going to change the call or anything - that'd have too much sportsmanship to it. So yeah, an obviously crappy call, after my partner and I had been overly generous with our calls throughout the match. This guy had even complimented a call I made early on, where I SHOULD have called a ball out but it was just too close to feel ok calling it out. Really dude? Really? This is repayment?

I think he just got tired of me making him look bad. I'd passed him while he was at the net more than once, and he couldn't win a point off my serve to save his life. So maybe he just didn't want to get passed yet again. Whatever. My partner and I won, crappy call and all. That's always the best revenge.

No comments: