Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dammit.

You'd think I could paint one - ONE - simple board without needing to change into painting clothes.

Nope. Down another pair of jeans, and my hands are covered in purple paint. Fabulous. This does not bode well for the rest of the day.

On the plus side, I'm getting ready to put together the girl's shelf. It has, so far, turned out much better than the boy's. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get it together with a minimum of hardware showing. I see dowels and glue in my future...and a new pair of jeans. Dammit.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Wood glue and dove tailing are the only real way to hide the fasteners. To do that you need a router and I think you'd rather not go there.

Another idea, especially if it is permanently together is to drill out a small amount and sink the fastener in the hole. Then insert a dowel with wood glue as a binder in the hole and cut it flush with the outside. Fill the cracks, sand smooth and paint. No fasteners visible.

Anonymous said...

I borrowed a dowel jig, once, for a project. It's a tool that guides the holes you drill for the dowels. No obvious hardware, and pretty easy. I ended up with lots of planing and sanding, though, to get it to respectable.

For the record, anybody who can make a dove tail joint work, in my opinion, is OK.

-David

Lee said...

It really helps to have a jig if you are doing dovetail joints or blind dovetails. It also helps to have someone that experienced stand by and give advice.

Around the Page said...

Yeah, at this point I'm just going for a pair of shelves that actually stand up and don't look like utter crap. I think I mostly succeeded - the second one looks much better than the first. The girl was the lucky winner of that shelf.

Dovetails frighten me. I need to mess up a bunch of other stuff before I attempt to mess those up.