Thursday, October 6, 2011

Singles! Yay!

This afternoon, I played singles for the first time since July 30th (but who's counting). I've been avoiding playing singles out of respect for the wrist, but it seems to have just about healed, so I gave it a shot.

It was also the first time I've practiced against a lady I lost to much earlier this season. In fact, you might say I had a bit of a vendetta out for her today. She was the only person I lost to in singles this season.

Sidenote: I did lose one other singles match, but the lady I lost to was disqualified and bumped up to the next level soon after our match, so I'm not counting it as a loss because the league didn't count it as a loss. But I'll fight just as hard next time I play her.  Heh heh.

Anyway. The lady I played today was involved in some pretty heavy duty conflict during the league season, and my teammates had told me after I lost to her that she'd given me some rough line calls. Whatever.

But what had really sealed the deal for me was when her husband came unglued during one of her matches against a teammate of mine Bear in mind that he is in charge of one of the tennis clubs around here, so his public behavior reflects on both his teaching style, and the club itself. He behaved like a 5 year old during her match, and I've had a sort of sour taste in my mouth about both of them since then. I mean, for God's sake. It's a tennis match, and there's not any money on the line! You don't throw a loud, obnoxious temper tantrum, pout, and stalk off during your wife's league tennis match. Twice. Sheesh.

So. I haven't had much interaction with her since then, but she's a very good singles player and when she texted me about playing, I figured it'd be a good way to get out there and play some singles.

You might say it went pretty well for me - I won 6-1, 6-1. We also played a 10 point tiebreaker, which she won 10-7, but damn. It felt good to unload after that loss earlier this season. No, this one doesn't count for anything, but I was still happy about the results. She picked it up in the tiebreaker, so I have no doubt that any real match would be a LOT closer than the first two sets.

And it was nice to actually talk to her. She's a runner, too, so you know we had to talk about that - she's run about 8 marathons, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage there! She's tall, athletic, and seems perfectly nice off the court. I have to wonder why so many of these good tennis players are tall. I swear I play in a land of giants sometimes. She also had the opportunity to make some catty comments about one of my teammates, and she totally let it slide, which I thought was classy of her.

So. A good singles match and some good conversation made for a nice afternoon. Now it's about time to get the kiddos and let chaos descend for the rest of the evening. Happy Thursday!

No comments: