Monday, October 24, 2011

To the Top


On the run yesterday, I spent the first 7 miles or so listening to the running podcast I like so much. The author often makes it a point to encourage his listeners to "live life to the top," and yesterday was no exception. One of his main goals is to live life fully, experiencing everything he can, enjoying life completely. Running is one of those things that helps him live his best life, and I can identify completely with that feeling. Of course, he also waxes poetic about red wine and pizza, and really - who can argue with that?

As I hit mile 7 during yesterday's long run, I finished the podcast and switched over to some tunes. I was at the base of the Big Dam Bridge, which is really quite a hike up and over, even without 7 miles already on your legs. My initial goal was to finish that last mile over the bridge, slowly, and call it a day - that would make a total of 8 miles, what was on the schedule, and enough to make me feel ok about the half mary coming up.

But as I started the ascent on the bridge, and the tunes went from Foster the People to Lady Gaga (don't judge, do what works for you), I had this incredible surge of energy. The top of the bridge looks up and down the Arkansas river, and yesterday was an amazingly beautiful day. There were some low clouds, a nice crisp breeze, warm sunlight - it was a perfect autumn afternoon. I had this sudden rush of endorphins, and totally hit on a wonderful runner's high.

J and I had a great weekend with the kiddos and friends, we'd eaten well, played hard, laughed a lot, and I was at the tail end of a good, solid long run. This is my version of living life to the top. It's not about filling up life with all the "accomplishments" you can - although that is doubtless part of it. It's not about cramming as much stuff into one day as you can - although we certainly do that, too. It's about doing the things in life that fulfill you, re-energize you, and make you grateful for all the things you already have. And taking time to reflect on what you have, spending a few moments feeling content with the life you've created.

That was mile 8 for me yesterday - a 10 minute nearly-euphoric reminder up and over the Big Dam Bridge of how lucky I am in my life. And if it took 7 miles to get to that point, how lucky it was that I'd put those other 7 behind me, and made it to mile 8. Then I finished 8 and did 2 more, just for good measure. 'Cause you can't just stop when you're feeling like that - I mean, you gotta take advantage of the runner's high and thrash your legs a little more before they know what hit 'em. Because when it comes down to it, I'm pretty damn lucky to be able to thrash them over 10 miles. It was a good run.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow, slightly inspired by this.