Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I Should Know Better

I started out yesterday with four - FOUR - things on my to do list. One of them was a project that has needed tackling ever since we moved into this house. We have plantation blinds in one of our front rooms, and the slats have been falling out of the shutters since the first day we moved in. The hardware holding them in is plastic and has become very brittle over the years. Hence, cracked pins, missing slats, slats at odd angles, etc. Our neighbors LOVE us, lemme tell you. We singlehandedly bring down property value everywhere.

So I decided that yesterday would be the day to tackle it.  And it took all freaking day. I first tried to find the right parts so I could fix it the "correct" way with the "correct" hardware. Big fat strikeout. It's a specialty part, and while I suppose I could have ordered it via the interwebs, that would have delayed it getting done. And I was in the mood to get it done, so it was gonna get done. After fiddling around for a couple of hours on the interwebs and finally deciding that plan A, doing things the "correct" way, wasn't going to work, I went to plan B.

Use a hammer and nails and make it work.

In this case, it worked remarkably well. I was able to use small nails to get the slats to fit where they needed to go, and with a few eye screws (which required a trip to the hardware store) and a little elbow grease, it actually looks good. Which was great, but I finished it 5 minutes before I had to pick up the kiddos from school. Monday = GONE. One thing crossed off the list.

So today, I looked at my list from yesterday, laughed at what didn't get done, and pretty much decided that if I get one of each of the four things knocked out each day this week, it'll be a good thing.

As of this afternoon, 10 minutes before I have to get the kiddos, mission completed. Guest room upstairs is now clean and no longer threatens to overwhelm anyone who dares glance in there. Sure, I might've concealed some of the junk that I just didn't have time to handle, but dammit, it looks 1000X better. And there's even room to put a suitcase on the floor, and a few shelves to work with. Again, something that has needed doing since the day we moved in.

So maybe one thing a day isn't such a bad thing. I mean, it's only taken three years to get this stuff done, but at least it's getting done, right? Oh, and I also replaced lightbulbs in the hallway. Considering that we were down to one working light bulb out of six? I figured it was time to take care of it. Really, I hope no one wonders how it can take me three years to get things done sometimes.

2 comments:

Lee said...

It took us moving out and getting the house ready to sell before we caulked under the sink to make the transition from cabinet to sink seamless. It only bugged us for 10 years, so I know how you feel.

Around the Page said...

Right? Every time we move, we do all those "little projects" that aren't that much of a pain in the butt but you never seem to have time to do. And then the house looks SO much nicer, and you wonder why you didn't do it in the first place. Except that sometimes those "little projects" take an entire freakin' day. Grrrrr.