Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Adventures

J had to work on Sunday morning, followed by a tennis match in the afternoon, so the kiddos and I were on our own for most of the day.  We had been cooped up in the house for a day or so with the cold, nasty weather, and I figured we could all use some exercise.  So I suggested that maybe we go for a walk. 

Crickets.  Then loud boos.

Yeah.  That went over great

So I thought about it for a few minutes, and came up with the idea that maybe instead of a walk, we should go for an adventure


Bingo!  The kiddos' ears perked up, and I suggested that they should pack backpacks with compasses, binoculars, maps, snacks and juice, and Nerf guns.  You know, to shoot at the squirrels and deer we might see.  I had to reassure the girl that we would not, in fact, hurt any of the animals we might shoot (Does the nerf gun hurt you when you get shot?  Then do you think it would hurt a squirrel?).  I neglected to mention the fact that the chances of us actually seeing any animal whatsoever was pretty slim, considering the noise level my kiddos generate... 

Anyway.

We packed backpacks, bags, froggie, and snacks, called some friends to see if they wanted to come, and headed out for our adventure.  It was colder than I expected, but the idea that we were going on an adventure - with snacks! and juice boxes! - was apparently enough to convince the kiddos to play in the great outdoors for a little while. 



Our friends met us at the lake with their little boy, and we trooped all over the trail system that is out there, keeping a sharp lookout for deer and squirrels.  We didn't see any deer, but we did have several Nerf wars while on our big adventure. 


After we finished, we all trooped back to our house for hot chocolate and brownies and some much needed heat (it was COLD out there), and the kiddos continued with their original plan for the day before I so rudely interrupted - demolishing the house.  Oh well.  It was worth it.  

No comments: