Thursday, January 13, 2011

Downhill...

Wow, it's already Thursday!  I spent the time I would've normally been blogging yesterday to tweak the look of the blog.  Not sure I'm settled on it yet, but I like it better than what I had before. 

So, let's see.  I'm having a bit of a hard time thinking of things to talk about this week, I'm not sure why.  Could be because I haven't been running this week ... that's when I often come up with topics to write about.  Unfortunately, in the mad scramble to get out of town on Sunday and Monday, I left all of my running gear at home.  Boo.  So the last time I ran was New Years day - oof.  That doesn't bode well for the Little Rock Half Marathon in early March, does it.  Oh well.  It is what it is.

Last night I did manage to finish up the book I've been reading, Homer and Langley by E. L. Doctorow.  The story follows the decline of two brothers, one of whom is blind and comes to depend entirely on the other brother, who is not in anyway functional in regular society.  The caretaker brother is a hoarder, and the book chronicles the way their large mansion is overtaken in time with junk accumulated over their lifetime.  The brothers withdraw from normal life over the years, to the point where they can no longer reach the front door should they even want to leave the house.  The book had sort of a loping, waltzing cadence to it, and while I enjoyed it, it got a little monotonous at times.  So now it's time to figure out what's next on the to-read list...

I've heard the book The Little Prince mentioned several times lately, and I'm sort of tempted to pick that one up.  It's billed as a children's book, and I did in fact read it when I was a child.  I'm not sure where my copy ran off to, but I've heard it mentioned enough lately that I'm thinking it's time to pick it up and reread it, and then read it to the kiddos. 

I've also been meaning to pick up a book on running by George Sheehan, but my trip to the used bookstore this week proved futile on that front.  One of my favorite things about coming to Houston is actually the number of stellar used book stores here.  There are several in different locations of town, and it always amuses me how much the book selections in each store reflect the surrounding community.  The one in Montrose, a very liberal part of town, always has some of the most interesting social sciences books, while the one near Rice university has nearly an entire room devoted to books on the occult, witchcraft, and other interesting alternatives to religion (or whatever you want to call that).  The one I often go to in the 'burbs still has a decent selection of literature, but you can tell that the clientele is a bit more romance, mystery, and thriller based. 

Anyway, I'm staying in town tonight, so maybe I'll try the Montrose store and see what jumps out at me.  We shall see.

No comments: