Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reading Madness

J gave me one of my birthday presents before I left town this past weekend.  On Saturday night, he handed me a very heavy box with the return address from Barnes and Nobles.  YAY!

So I cracked open the box among the excited chattering of the kiddos, and the box eventually revealed a bunch of exciting bubble wrap, aaaand...

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes. 

J and I both love the comic strip, and we probably have a few random collections scattered around the house.  However, these are 400+ page complete tomes, with three comic strips on each page.  Total awesomeness.  The absolute best part of this gift wasn't the actual books, though, even though I have great memories of spending long afternoons working my way through various collections. 

The best part was that B immediately grabbed one of the books, snuggled up with me on the couch, and we started working our way through the early comic strips.  That boy cackled for every strip we read, regardless of whether he understood it or not.  He especially liked the idea of Calvin ordering delivery pizza after being sent to his room for disparaging dinner.  Hmmm, I wonder if I should be offended by that..

I've been looking for something to help spark his interest in reading.  He regards it as a necessary evil, something that is harder than he wants it to be, and I don't think he's yet figured out how much magic a book can create.  Maybe this will help do the trick, and at least get him interested?  If not that, I might have to resort to the farting dog.  After all, there isn't much that is funnier to a six year old boy than that, right?

No comments: