Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's Not Fair!

Scene:  Last night, our driveway, getting out of the car.
Time:    5:30, just before dinner.
Actors:  Me, my 5 year old boy, B, and my 4 year old girl, A.

Me:  "B, can you bring in your backpack and shut the car door when you come inside?"
B:  "Moooommm, why do I always have to do so much stuff?  It's not FAIR!"
Me:  (in slight disbelief):  "Oh get over it - it's a backpack for crying out loud!  A, can you bring in your coat and the extra plates from the backseat?"

I got out of the car and went inside with dinner (Little Caesars - the choice of desperate parents everywhere).  The girl followed me pretty quickly, bringing the stuff I asked her to bring without complaint.  She's smart enough to know that if her brother is misbehaving, she can rack up brownie points and irritate him at the same time by being extra good.  SCORE!

A full 10 minutes later, B came through the back door, slammed the door, and threw his backpack on the floor.  He was continuously muttering under his breath about how tired he was and how unfair it was that I was making him do "all this stuff" when he was so very tired.  You know, like hauling in his backpack that weighed about 2 pounds and contained his empty lunch box.  And nothing else.

So I asked him if he had shut the door to the car.  He looked so pissed that I was guessing it didn't happen.  I got a sullen "no" in response. 

Really?  It's that hard?  The dude has boundless energy when it's bedtime, and more than enough strength to shut a damn door.  I told him to go back outside to shut the car door.  He promptly threw himself on the ground in a crying fit, wailing about how hard his life is and how unfair I am. 

You think life is hard now, kiddo?  Heh.  One of these days you will so wish that your main responsibilities were bringing in your backpack and shutting a freakin' car door. 

2 comments:

Gina and Michael said...

Poor baby was just exhausted! You know that school is full of holiday fun that just wiped the little guy out! BTW-did the door ever get shut? ;-)

Around the Page said...

Hah! Eventually he was able to haul himself off the floor and go shut the door. It took a while, though. And of course there was more wailing and gnashing of teeth when he got back inside.

Actually, I think you are probably right about holiday fun - he's been a beast all week!