Monday, December 6, 2010

On Taking Risks

Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.
 - Anonymous

It is only by risking ... that we live at all.
 - William James

I've spent some time lately thinking about risks we encounter in life. Something I read recently has me pondering whether taking risks in life leads inevitably to pain. In other words, if you decide to take a certain risk (pick a risk, any risk), is it inevitable that you will experience some amount of pain, even if you achieve whatever goal you set or have a positive outcome to the risk you take?  This is sort of a vague wondering right now, and I'm having a bit of trouble narrowing it down more, but let's give it a shot.

I guess maybe you have to start by challenging the assumption that pain is something that is bad, or something you try to avoid. I'm not suggesting masochism by any means here, but I think you also have to look at pain as something that is not 100% bad.  The situations in my life that have caused significant pain have also brought experience, learning, and perspective that I wouldn't trade for anything.  So even though taking a risk may bring about pain, I'm not sure that's an absolute bad thing.  Not that I think it's worth actively seeking pain for that purpose, or recklessly taking risks - that's a bit counterproductive.  And there's also the idea that we need the presence of pain in our lives to understand and feel pleasure.  Without one, I don't think the other can exist, or at least, not in any appreciable form.

But back to whether taking risks definitely leads to pain. My first impulse was to answer yes and be done with it. I do think taking risks - no matter how successfully - typically does bring some pain in one form or another.  Taking a risk usually involves some sort of change in your life; you are stepping out of your comfort zone and stretching yourself in an unaccustomed way.  Even if you are successful in whatever you are risking, something else is likely changed, left behind, or neglected. 

One fairly simple example I was thinking about this weekend was watching the bands playing Saturday night.  None of the groups were required to be up there playing; no one was being paid and no one was forcing them to play.  They all enjoy it and are willing participants.  But even that is a risk, isn't it?  You run the risk of messing up on stage, forgetting the music, not living up to your potential, people not liking your songs, etc.  Even if you are perfect on stage, though, chances are that those folks are taking time away from something else - maybe time with their family, time participating in other hobbies, or even work.  And you have to think that restriction in time is going to bring about some element of pain, even if it is more bothersome than debilitating - that seems true of most decisions we make.  Most risks we take in our lives result in a level of discomfort that is pesky and annoying rather than mind blowing.  Chances are, each of the musicians that played Saturday night has determined that whatever risk they might be taking with their music is more than worth the joy and pleasure they get from the experience.

After mulling it over a bit, I think I understand how I, at least, approach risk these days.  My take on it is, if you look at the risk you are considering taking, and you think it through - really think it through, then you go into the situation with your eyes open.  You know what the stakes are, you know not only what the positive and negative outcomes are, but also the absolute best, and more importantly, worst case scenarios.  Before you jump, you understand what is at stake and if you still jump, then you've essentially made a deal with yourself that you accept the consequences.  Now, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't feel pain, assuming some comes along with it.  But I think it helps to mitigate it a little, and hopefully makes it easier to come to terms with and understand.

Over the last several months, I've been trying to become more aware of the risks that are present in my life, and I've been trying to step out of my comfort zone a little more often.  Not crazy risks, not life changing ones, just little ones here and there that I normally wouldn't take.  For a long time, I've felt stagnant, and I needed something to help me break out of the comfortable bubble I found myself in. Because, really, it wasn't all that comfortable - it was stifling and suffocating.  It was time for a change, and that meant taking some risks (such as this blog - that felt like a huge risk for me).  I suppose that's why I've been considering this topic - because if you believe that risk taking leads invariably to pain, then I guess that's what you open yourself up to when you decide to take a few more risks in your life.

No comments: