Sunday, December 5, 2010

Well...

So let's see.  It's Sunday night, the weekend is already almost over, and I didn't even come close to getting everything done that I wanted to.  I never got my 10 miler in, which makes a potential LR marathon a lot less likely.  There are other marathons around that time of the year next year, so I may just shift my training a little and try to pick up a race a few weeks later.  I'm probably trying to ramp up too quickly anyway.

Yesterday involved more time at work than expected (although I guess I always sort of expect that), so it was too late to get my run in and get to where I was supposed to be last night on time. Not to mention that Houston is so damn big that it took me 45 minutes to get from downtown to Clear Lake, which is where my friend's band was performing.

The party was a lot of fun, and the bands were a blast - I forget how much fun it is to watch live music. I love being close enough to watch fingers fly over strings and drumsticks cut through the air - drummers in particular amaze me, which is what my friend is. I love watching the complexity of the beats, the tight coordination of limbs, and the sheer energy that is required for the drums.  It was the first time I'd gotten to watch him play, and it just fascinates me. It's one of those instruments that I don't really ever seen myself learning to play (unless one of my kiddos decides to give it a try - guess I should watch what I wish for there...), and watching someone else is completely mesmerizing. 

All of the musicians were late twenties to late thirties, which meant they typically had responsibilities, careers, families, time constraints, and all the stuff that comes with this phase of life. All of them also had a passion for music, and you could see it in their faces as they played - they were enjoying the hell out of it. It made me wonder how many bands like this there are, how many houses, garages, and warehouses had a similar thing going on last night, where for a few hours, you let 'real life' slip away and lose yourself in something you love, both musicians and audience.

It really was a fantastic night, although true to form I managed to enjoy myself a bit too much and pretty much blew today out of the water for anything productive, including my much-needed run. Knowing me, it won't be the last time that happens...

I've got a few more substantive posts rattling around, but they are slow in coming together.  Hopefully later this week I'll manage something that is a bit more thought provoking than a daily calendar of what's going on around here. But right now I'm just procrastinating.  Off to get some work done so tomorrow won't kick me in the ass any harder than it's already going to.

No comments: