Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Reading

My kindergarten son B is in the process of learning to read.  I've always loved to read - it has been an escape and a passion for many years.  I can't imagine not loving to read.  But it's been a slow process for him.

The first week of kindergarten, he came home with what would turn out to be a year long assignment - read for 30 minutes every night (we've sort of modified that to reading every school night).  The first few months, this half hour felt like an eternity.

I bought some young reader books that I thought he might like (Star Wars, Firetrucks, etc.), and we would painstakingly stumble through 5 pages or so.  Each and every word would be an accomplishment, and each and every potential distraction had to be removed.

There would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth over that half hour, and at the 15 minute point, everyone in the house would be ready for a break.  B would complain and whine that it was too hard and he didn't like to read and didn't want to read.  But bit by bit, it got easier - he started reading words a little more smoothly, but still didn't seem to have the attention span or interest.

Then I spent most of January in Houston, and didn't read with him for over a month. 

Once I started reading with him again in February, though, it was obvious something had finally clicked.  He's been reading his books very smoothly, still sounding out a lot of words but his speed has picked up.  Often, he'll sound out the words completely wrong, but in between sounding it out and starting again, he'll figure out what the word is and say it correctly. 

Last night, he picked up a book he hadn't read before, one that is actually a couple levels above where he has been reading.  It was a Star Wars book (god bless star wars), and after the first page or so, he complained that it was too hard.  I convinced him to give it one more try, and he turned to a page where he ended up reading the word "unfortunately."  He sounded it out, stumbled over it, then said it correctly without my help, and we both got these huge grins on our face.  Holy crap, that was a HUGE word for him! 

He was completely thrilled that he'd been able to read it all on his own.  We switched to an easier reader after that, but his confidence got a huge boost, which has been so important for him.

His vocabulary got a huge boost, too, as it turned out.  As I was telling him goodnight last night, he looked up me, and said "Mom?  Unfortunately, I just tooted."  Yay for boys.

5 comments:

Lee said...

I read too my oldest boy every night before he went to bed. I think that helped him. He was so excited to read stories to me and I let him sound out words.

He's an avid reader now.

I have not been as diligent with my daughter, and I think it shows, but she still enjoys being read too.

The youngest appears happiest pulling his books off the book case and leafing through the pages. Messy, but good for him.

Keep up the good work.

Gina and Michael said...

So glad that B-Man is finding his groove! Encourage him to read anything and everything...cereal boxes, recipes, cartoons...it all counts! You will find that kids learn a lot about fictional reading but fall short when it comes to reading for information.

Around the Page said...

Lee - well...I think your youngest deserves a pass for right now. Ya know, so he can learn to walk and all. I'm just hoping one of my kiddos turns out to be an avid reader.

Around the Page said...

Gina - he's working on it. We are still reading Calvin and Hobbes most nights, and I'll have him read some of the words. But he's still pretty reluctant. He told me last night that he likes books now - but only when he can look at the pictures, not to actually read. Sigh.

Gina and Michael said...

A lot of critical reading skills include "reading" the pictures...run with it...so important as well. Don't be discouraged!