Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Bit of Reading

I've done a ton of reading lately.  A flight to and from Vegas gives you around 5-6 hours of reading time, not to mention a little time out there to read.  And without homework and softball and other assorted kiddo activities, I feel like I have a little more time in the evenings, which is strange but nice.  I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't just ditch Uverse for good, considering how much TV we don't watch.  In fact, I'm not sure we've turned on the Uverse in about a month or so.  We haven't been watching any baseball this year, and there aren't any other programs we watch on a regular basis...maybe it's something to think about.

At any rate, I finished an interesting biography a few days ago, Wild, by Cheryl Strayed.  This was a lady in her 20s who, after a couple of pretty intense tragedies and situations in her life, decided to hike the Pacific Coast Trail.  It is described as the Appalachian Trail's big brother, and holy cow it sounds like it.  Three months plus of desert heat, mountain snow, and assorted other ailments and wilderness...it takes a lot of guts to do something like that.  Or a lot of desperation, which is where she was.  I'm a sucker for books like that, though - taking a challenging sojourn like that to wrestle with your inner demons - it always amazes me what people can go through and how different they come out on the other side.  I like to see what portions I can relate to, and what sections are beyond my frame of reference, at least at this point in time.

I have a friend/acquaintance who is hiking the Appalachian Trail right now on her own.  She's been blogging about it regularly and posting amazing pictures.  Something like that sounds like an amazing trip - I can only imagine how different you can come out on the other side of something like that - but I don't see something like that in the cards for me.  Guess I'll have to take my little, normal journey and work with that.  For now, anyway.

No comments: