Friday, June 29, 2012

Things Happen

I used to believe in the adage that states unequivocably "things happen for a reason." I'm a bit past that now - I don't think there are reasons other than what we find or choose to make of things.

But sometimes it would be nice to believe that there is some "sign" that you are on the right road, that you are making the right decisions. That at some point there will be a finish line that tells you that whatever tough decision you made was the "right" decision.

Of course, many decisions don't really have a 'right' or 'wrong' either. You make your decisions, and then you make the best of them - and if you make the best of them, you've made a 'right' decision.  If you second guess and regret what you've done and wish you'd done things differently, you've made a 'wrong' decision.  I read a quote yesterday that resonated deeply with me.

"I have always found that each step we take in life is to be regretted--
if we once begin to wonder how many other steps might have been possible."

John Oliver Hobbes

You make your decision, and you move forward and don't look back - you don't regret - because as soon as you do, you lose all the energy and thought that went into the decision in the first place. And second guessing yourself takes away from where you are NOW, and where you are trying to be. You can't change what is in the past. The best you can do is move forward and trust yourself that you are doing the right thing, and learn from the decisions that you make.

I know these things, I've lived them and I believe them. Sometimes it doesn't make decision making any easier.

1 comment:

Gina and Michael said...

Thanks! I needed that...reframing in my future!