Thursday, June 21, 2012

Getting Back at It...

3 miler tonight, first two miles at a sub 10:00 mile, but the last one was about 11:11.  I had to stop and walk up a hill, but that's ok.  It's my first run in over 2 weeks, so it was bound to be a bit difficult.  I expect the next couple of runs to be a little more difficult before they start evening out again. 

Yesterday, J and I went to see Steve Martin and the bluegrass band he's playing with right now.  I read Martin's bio a few years ago, and what I most remember reading was how hard he worked for the things he accomplished.  He may have some talent at what he does, but the sheer grunt work that he put into his career(s) was impressive, so I have nothing but respect for the dude. 

The evening was thoroughly enjoyable, because of course Martin didn't just play music (although he is quite an excellent banjo player).  He talked and joked a bit between each song, set up jokes that he would finish 10 minutes later, and talked about the songs they were playing.  For live music like that, there's nothing better than getting insight on what a musician was thinking about when writing his or her songs.  It just makes the entire experience so much richer and more enjoyable. 

It had also been years since I had been to Robinson auditorium, where Martin and the bluegrass crew played.  I had no memory whatsoever of the lobby area, but the performance hall was familiar.  I remember being so intimidated when I was younger, and it all seems so different now.  At any rate, the venue was fine for the music, and the bluegrass group was absolutely wonderful.  The show stopper, though, was the fiddle player.  I honestly he was going to spontaneously combust a few times, his solos were so intense, fast, and amazingly diverse.

Overall, a great evening out, and well worth what the price of the tickets.  And what do you know, I turn around and tomorrow's friday.  Damn the weeks go fast sometimes - even in the summertime.

No comments: