Thursday, June 28, 2012

Dwelling versus Thinking

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, explaining how I'd spent time recently dwelling on something. That felt a little out of character for me, because I associate a negative connotation with that word. She responded that she thought I was a thinker, and maybe it wasn't so out of character for me after all...

This is why I love my friends. They challenge me and make me think.

So I looked up the definition of dwell this morning, and once I got past the whole "housing and structures" thing, one definition was "to fasten ones attention on". Huh, she might be right. Of course, the synonym given was "brood," and that also seems a bit dark.

I do like to think. It is part of my nature. Hell, I get paid, in part, to think - what could be better? But I do not like to dwell in the negative. I've been in the negative more than I like lately, and it becomes a habit after a while. Not a good one. It's far too heavy and requires too much energy. I miss feeling lighthearted and "light" in general. Maybe that's the price of being an adult? I'm not sure I buy that - I don't think getting older means being "heavier" in the metaphysical sense. More responsibilities can be a pain in the ass, but as long as you can cover them...what's wrong with a little levity? How do you channel that, though? That might bear some thinking...

Ahhhh, blogging before 6:30. You never know what you're gonna get...



No comments: